Terms and Conditions
Date of Last Revision: July 28, 2011.
For questions regarding these terms of service please contact:
Terms of Service
By using or accessing this website, you agree to the following terms of service:
1. SBCLA Principles:
This website is provided as a public serviceAnyone over the age of 13 can access the SBCLA Online Community @ www.SustainableBC.org by providing basic contact information (name, business, email address, country of residence). Once registered, please feel free to set up a profile and add comments.
SBCLA is seeking to foster a grown-up conversation about ideas and ideals that help sustainable business professionals. Please engage in a reasoned exchange of ideas, avoiding flaming, name-calling, obscenities and insults. Humor, of course, is welcome. ; )
Please respect your fellow users’ requests. Do not pester them, game them or spam them in any way.
Please respect the law. Do not post copyrighted material in your comments (unless you own the copyright) or attempt to engage in illegal behavior of any sort.
SBCLA reserves the right to remove any comments or content from the site, for any reason and without prior warning.
If you violate these terms, or otherwise act disrespectfully, disruptively or illegally on www.SustainableBC.org, we reserve the right to terminate your use of this website and to delete your community profile, at any time, and without prior warning.
3. Sharing Your Content and Information
You own and are responsible for all of the content and information you post on www.SustainableBC.org. In addition:
1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like text, photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with this website ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
2. When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
3. When you publish content on the profile page you are allowing everyone, including people off of www.SustainableBC.org, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).
4. We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about SBCLA, but you understand that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).
We do our best to keep www.SustainableBC.org safe, but we cannot guarantee it. We need your help to do that, which includes the following commitments:
1. You will not send or otherwise post unauthorized commercial communications (such as spam) on www.SustainableBC.org.
2. You will not collect users' content or information, or otherwise access www.SustainableBC.org, using automated means (such as harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers) without our permission.
3. You will not engage in unlawful multi-level marketing, such as a pyramid scheme, on www.SustainableBC.org.
4. You will not upload viruses or other malicious code.
5. You will not solicit login information or access an account belonging to someone else.
6. You will not bully, intimidate, or harass any user.
7. You will not post content that: is hateful, threatening, or pornographic; incites violence; or contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.
8. You will follow applicable laws if you publicize or offer any contest, giveaway, or sweepstakes (“promotion”) on www.SustainableBC.org
9. You will not use www.SustainableBC.org to do anything unlawful, misleading, malicious, or discriminatory.
10. You will not do anything that could disable, overburden, or impair the proper working of www.SustainableBC.org, such as a denial of service attack.
11. You will not facilitate or encourage any violations of these terms of service.
5. Registration and Account Security
SBCLA users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:
1. You will not provide any false personal information on www.SustainableBC.org, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
2. You will not create more than one personal profile.
3. If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.
4. You will not use your personal profile for your own commercial gain (such as selling your status update to an advertiser).
5. You will not use www.SustainableBC.org if you are under 13.
6. You will keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.
7. You will not share your password, let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
8. You will not transfer your account to anyone.
9. If you select a username for your account we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe appropriate (such as when a trademark owner complains about a username that does not closely relate to a user's actual name).
6. Protecting Other People's Rights
We respect other people's rights, and expect you to do the same.
1. You will not post content or take any action on www.SustainableBC.org that infringes or violates someone else's rights or otherwise violates the law.
2. We can remove any content or information you post on www.SustainableBC.org if we believe that it violates these terms of service or for any reason in our sole and absolute discretion.
3. If we remove your content for infringing someone else's copyright, and you believe we removed it by mistake, we will provide you with an opportunity to appeal.
4. If you repeatedly infringe other people's intellectual property rights, we will disable your account when appropriate.
5. You will not use our copyrights or trademarks (including the Sustainable Business Council of Los Angeles logo) or any confusingly similar marks, without our written permission.
7. You will not post anyone's identification documents or sensitive financial information on www.SustainableBC.org.
8. You will not tag users or send email invitations to non-users without their consent.
7. Payments and Deals
If you make a payment on www.SustainableBC.org you agree to the payment terms listed here:
1. We can change these terms of service effective immediately if we provide you notice by posting the change on www.SustainableBC.org.
2. Such changes can be made for legal or administrative reasons, to correct an inaccurate statement, or for any reason or no reason in our sole and absolute discrtion.
We can stop providing all or part of www.SustainableBC.org at any time. You may also delete your account at any time. In all such cases, this Statement shall terminate, but these terms of service will survive any such termination.
1. You will resolve any claim, cause of action or dispute ("claim") you have with us arising out of or relating to this Statement or www.SustainableBC.org exclusively in a state or federal court located in Los Angeles County. The laws of the State of California will govern this Statement, as well as any claim that might arise between you and us, without regard to conflict of law provisions. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located in Los Angeles County, California for the purpose of litigating all such claims and waive any claims of forum non conveniens.
2. If anyone brings a claim against us related to your actions, content or information on www.SustainableBC.org, you will indemnify and hold us harmless from and against all damages, losses, and expenses of any kind (including reasonable legal fees and costs) related to such claim.
3. WE TRY TO KEEP WWW.SUSTAINABLEBC.ORG UP, BUG-FREE, AND SAFE, BUT YOU USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE ARE PROVIDING WWW.SUSTAINABLEBC.ORG "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT WWW.SUSTAINABLEBC.ORG WILL BE SAFE OR SECURE. SBCLA IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS, CONTENT, INFORMATION, OR DATA OF THIRD PARTIES, AND YOU RELEASE US, OUR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS FROM ANY CLAIMS AND DAMAGES, KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH ANY CLAIM YOU HAVE AGAINST ANY SUCH THIRD PARTIES. IF YOU ARE A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT, YOU WAIVE CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE §1542, WHICH SAYS: "A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR." WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS STATEMENT OR FACEBOOK, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. OUR AGGREGATE LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF THIS STATEMENT OR FACEBOOK WILL NOT EXCEED THE GREATER OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100) OR THE AMOUNT YOU HAVE PAID US IN THE PAST TWELVE MONTHS, WHICHEVER IS LESS. APPLICABLE LAW MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY OR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH CASES, FACEBOOK'S LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
11. Special Provisions Applicable to Users Outside the United States
We strive to create a global community with consistent standards for everyone, but we also strive to respect local laws. The following provisions apply to users outside the United States:
1. You consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States.
2. If you are located in a country embargoed by the United States, or are on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals you will not engage in commercial activities on www.SustainableBC.org
1. By “www.SustainableBC.org” we mean the features and services we make available, including through the website www.SustainableBC.org.
2. By "information" we mean facts and other information about you, including actions you take.
3. By "content" we mean anything you post on www.SustainableBC.org that would not be included in the definition of "information."
4. By "data" we mean content and information that third parties can retrieve from SBCLA or provide to SBCLA.
5. By "post" we mean post on www.SustainableBC.org or otherwise make available to us (such as by using an application).
6. By "use" we mean use, copy, publicly perform or display, distribute, modify, translate, and create derivative works of.
1. References to “us,” “we,” and “our” mean either Sustainable Business Council of Los Angeles.
2. This Statement makes up the entire agreement between the parties regarding SBCLA, and supersedes any prior agreements.
3. If any portion of this Statement is found to be unenforceable, the remaining portion will remain in full force and effect.
4. If we fail to enforce any of this Statement, it will not be considered a waiver.
5. Any amendment to or waiver of this Statement must be made in writing and signed by us.
6. You will not transfer any of your rights or obligations under this Statement to anyone else without our consent.
7. All of our rights and obligations under this Statement are freely assignable by us in connection with a merger, acquisition, or sale of assets, or by operation of law or otherwise.
8. Nothing in this Statement shall prevent us from complying with the law.
9. This Statement does not confer any third party beneficiary rights.
10. You will comply with all applicable laws when using or accessing www.SustainableBC.org.